Breaking down the record budget deficit.
(Houston) The next president will inherit the biggest budget deficit in the country's history. The government's fiscal year 2009 budget totals $3.10 trillion, and that figure includes $482 billion in deficit spending.
To put the numbers in perspective, $482 billion would buy;
* 210,480,349,344 McDonald's Hamburger Happy Meals at $2.19 each.
* 126,842,105,263 gallons of gasoline at Houston's average price of $3.80 per gallon. (Source: AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report, 7/30/08)
If your car gets 20 miles to the gallon, that gas would power your car for 2,536,842,105,260 miles, enough to circle the globe 101,473,684 times.
* 32,133,333,333 large pizzas at $15 each.
* 5,081,815 degrees from a private, 4-year university. (Source: The College Board 2007-08 College Costs)
* 24,423,612 new 2009 Ford Mustangs. (Source: Ford Motor Company)
* 4,326,750 shares of Warren Buffett's company, Berkshire Hathaway, the most expensive stock on Wall Street.
* 120,500,000,000 cups of coffee at $4 each.
* 2,422,110,552 iPhones at $199 each.
* Groceries for 42,414,642 families of four for one year. (Source: Official USDA Food Plans: Cost of Food at Home at Four Levels, June 2008)
* 2,109,889 homes at Houston's average home price. (Source: Greater Houston Partnership)
* $482 billion is approximately 80.3 times the 2007 revenue of Major League Baseball. (Source: CNN Money)
Copyright © 2003-2013 Clear Channel. All rights reserved.