TO REQUEST MICHAEL TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT, CLICK HERE
(Madeleine Morgenstern) -- The Michigan lottery winner who shot to prominence after admitting that she was still collecting food stamps died Saturday of a possible drug overdose, the Detroit Newsreported.
Amanda Clayton, 25, was found dead at home around 9 a.m. Saturday, Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed. An autopsy is pending, according to WXYZ-TV.
Her friend’s boyfriend told WXYZ Clayton was discovered lying on the bed with her 1 1/2-year-old. The boyfriend said Clayton was “already in a bad stage” Friday night.
In March, a local news station confronted Clayton on camera about why she was still using food stamps to pay for her meals after winning a $1 million lottery prize. She defended the practice, saying, “I feel that it’s OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay, I have two houses.”
The state of Michigan said Clayton received about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits after winning a pre-tax lottery windfall of $735,000 last year, according to the Detroit News.
PHOTO CREDIT: Facebook