Former CIA employee is the man behind the leak
The man who blew the whistle on the government monitoring your phone calls has come out of the shadows.
He is 29 year old Edward Snowden, who used to work for the CIA and currently works for defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. He told The Guardian he's putting himself at risk.
“I could have people come after me, and that’s a fear I’ll live under for the rest of my life,” Snowden said.
Snowden explained why he came forward.
“I watched what has happened and thought this was not our place to decide. The public needs to decide whether these policies are right or wrong,” Snowden explained.
In the meantime, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul told Fox News Sunday he wants to file a lawsuit over the scandal.
“If we get ten million Americans saying they don’t want their phone records looked at then maybe somebody will wake up and things will change in Washington,” Paul said.
Paul told FOX he is disgusted at what has been going on.
“They are looking at a billion phone calls a day. That doesn’t sound like a modest invasion of privacy. It sounds like an extraordinary invasion of privacy,” Paul explained.
Dr. Jeff Addicott of the Center for Terrorism Law at St. Mary's University told KTRH what the Obama Administration has done with the Prism program was not what the Patriot Act was designed for.
“The Administration has gone too far. They’ve gone far beyond what President Bush did,” Addicott said. “The purpose of the Patriot Act was to stop terrorists before they got to the airport. The law that allows that, in my opinion, has been abused.”
Snowden has been in hiding in China since last month because he came forward, and says he chose China because of their 'spirited commitment to free speech.'