Thursday night at the Capitol Hill Club, Representative Ted Poe had a scary choking incident and was thankfully aided by a doctor-turned-GOP-aide, Nick Muzin, who may have saved his life.
Poe was eating dinner alone downstairs at the Club’s Grill when he began choking on a piece of popcorn. Representative Matt Salmon and an unnamed lobbyist both tried to dislodge the food with the Heimlich maneuver, but were unsuccessful.
Poe was not able to breathe, and Salmon and the lobbyist called 9-1-1 and began to shout for a doctor. Several minutes had elapsed, and the situation was quite serious, witnesses said.